Friday, June 3, 2011

The Beginning

Why did I make my kids build a boat with me? Well, first I am just a little bit crazy, but mostly it was to spend some quality time. Some of the other skills I hoped to teach were long term planning, time management and that there is not really a reset button in real life as in their computer games, so do it right the first time.
Was it worth it? YES!!!
Just last week David said that some of the things he learned while boat building helped him dissect a frog in biology class. Go figure that! ;)
But the kids were able to see their work progress from a set of foil blanks to a finished rudder and daggerboard. Then getting all the little parts together, like gluing on the chine logs, before going 3D. Then after that getting the boat primed and painted. Each success brought those smiles to their faces and I was lucky enough to be part of that.
Foil Blanks

Fiberglass is done!

Gluing the chine logs.

All smiles because of a job well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment